Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Marques de Casa Concha

Since our next group tasting is based on Chilean Cabernet, we thought we'd get used to the grape. I opened a bottle of Marques de Casa Concha by Concha y Toro. THis was a 2006, 14%, and I believe in the $10-$12 range.

After the Evoda of the other night we really liked this wine! It had body, a full taste without being syrupy or jammy, and a nice strawberry/blackberry taste. I grilled chicken, and this was a bit much with the meal but was very good.

It did have a drawback - there was a sharp edge to it that we kept hoping would mellow with air and time --- but didn't. I think this edge is what differentiates a $10 bottle from a $20 bottle.

This was a nice find, and I would buy it again. We particularly liked the sophisticated (esp for this price) flavor that wasn't modern Californian fruit forward style. Give it a try, tell us what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment